I was born and raised on a dairy farm outside Canon City, Colorado. Because of my upbringing and knowledge of diet, farming and business, I advocate knowing, buying and consuming as close to the source as possible. I fell in love with Crossfit as one of the few environments, particularly in athletics and competition, in which women are either just as strong as men or are at least on an even playing field.

I take pride in being a part of a community that reinforces "strong" and "fit" as the compliments. As an independent and fitness minded consumer, I tend to shy away from restrictive diets. Paleo allows me the freedom to eat the foods I enjoy while remaining nutritionally superior to their processed equivalents. I love the way I feel when I fuel my body with whole Paleo meals and after a WOD. Euphoric is not an exaggeration. My goal is to bring others to understand what Paleo is, why it works and why they should try it. The false stigmas about Paleo are rampant and various, but my knowledge is based entirely on what I've learned through personal experience and research.

Friday, October 5, 2012

Cherry Tomato Zucchini Pasta






This is one of my favorite dishes to make!  A few years ago I remember watching a Rachel Rae episode where she made this quick, sweet pasta sauce from cherry tomatoes and just a few ingredients.  I love a quick pasta sauce recipe! It’s key though to use fresh cherry tomatoes because they are much sweeter than a regular tomato.  Trying to find a store bought paleo-ish pasta sauce is hard to find and I get tired of the same old heavy pasta sauce.  This sauce is great because it's very light but full of flavor. 
 
Even though Rachel Ray sways from the paleo lieftyle she holds a special place in my heart. As silly as it souns Rachel Ray was a huge influence in my love for cooking. She is a bit rough around the edges but very easy to relate to. In high school I would always watch her show and recreate her girl-on-the-run recipes.

 

Ingredients


·         1-2 cups of cherry tomatoes

·         2-3 garlic cloves, minced

·         ½-1 tablespoons of red pepper flakes

·         1 very large zucchini

·         2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

·         Fresh basil

·         Spicy Chicken Sausage
 

Directions
I first began by cooking the chicken sausage until fully cooked.  I used that same pan afterwards with the left over goodness from the chicken sausage and dumped in the cherry tomatoes whole.  I let them soften for a few minutes with the red pepper flakes and olive oil.  I used about a tablespoon which is pretty spicy! 
After tomatoes have softened take a potato masher and lightly mash the tomatoes. Keep in mind to keep them intact. Simmer tomatoes with the minced garlic until flavors combine and tomatoes are mushy and sweet.
 
Meantime, I used a julienne slicer to quickly slice through my zucchini.  I like having long strips of the zucchini.  Toss the zucchini strips in with the sauce and simmer for just a few minutes.  Return chicken sausage back to pan, stir, top with basil and serve! 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment