I am very excited because currently I am working on developing my own website! Hopefully that will keep me motivated on posting different types of recipes!
This stuffed eggplant I made months ago but I hated the picture that I took. If you enjoy a basic stuffed pepper then you will like this recipe also. I had my eggplant in the oven for too long so it browned on the top. But that's why I updated the recipe to cook the eggplant first in the oven and then cook the mixture on top of the stove. This is just a faster way to have an amazing Italian meal!
- 1/2 - 1 Pound of Hamburger
- 2 small-to-medium Italian eggplants
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut lengthwise into quarters
- 3 plum tomatoes
- Flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Remove leaves from eggplants, but leave the stems on. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, through the stem. Scoop out the insides with a spoon.
- Do not cut completely through the skin.
- Brush the eggplant all over with 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle the eggplant flesh with salt. Place cut-side down in the prepared roasting pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, quarter and thinly slice onion. Chop garlic. Dice the pepper. Chop the tomatoes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add hamburger and slowly add in the rest of the ingredients-- onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the diced bell pepper, the diced tomatoes, parsley, bay leaves and the remaining salt.
- I also added to the pan the insides of the eggplant that I had scooped out. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until hamburger is cooked through;discard bay leaves.
- After the eggplant has baked for 15 minutes, remove from the oven. Carefully turn each eggplant half over stuff the eggplant "boat" with the mixture, pressing it down gently.
- Drizzle the eggplant with the remaining teaspoons of oil. Bake for maybe 20 minutes more. Or just until the eggplant portion is fully soft and cooked through.
- Before eating be sure to add salt to tayste!