I was born and raised on a dairy farm outside Canon City, Colorado. Because of my upbringing and knowledge of diet, farming and business, I advocate knowing, buying and consuming as close to the source as possible. I fell in love with Crossfit as one of the few environments, particularly in athletics and competition, in which women are either just as strong as men or are at least on an even playing field.

I take pride in being a part of a community that reinforces "strong" and "fit" as the compliments. As an independent and fitness minded consumer, I tend to shy away from restrictive diets. Paleo allows me the freedom to eat the foods I enjoy while remaining nutritionally superior to their processed equivalents. I love the way I feel when I fuel my body with whole Paleo meals and after a WOD. Euphoric is not an exaggeration. My goal is to bring others to understand what Paleo is, why it works and why they should try it. The false stigmas about Paleo are rampant and various, but my knowledge is based entirely on what I've learned through personal experience and research.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Stuffed Eggplant

 

I am very excited because currently I am working on developing my own website! Hopefully that will keep me motivated on posting different types of recipes!

This stuffed eggplant I made months ago but I hated the picture that I took.   If you enjoy a basic stuffed pepper then you will like this recipe also.   I had my eggplant in the oven for too long so it browned on the top.  But that's why I updated the recipe to cook the eggplant first in the oven and then cook the mixture on top of the stove. This is just a faster way to have an amazing Italian meal!

Ingredients


  • 1/2  - 1 Pound of Hamburger
  • 2 small-to-medium Italian eggplants
  • 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1 large onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 large green bell pepper, cut lengthwise into quarters
  • 3 plum tomatoes
  • Flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 bay leaf

Procedure

  1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
  2. Remove leaves from eggplants, but leave the stems on. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, through the stem. Scoop out the insides with a spoon.
  3.  Do not cut completely through the skin.
  4. Brush the eggplant all over with 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle the eggplant flesh with salt. Place cut-side down in the prepared roasting pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, quarter and thinly slice onion. Chop garlic. Dice the pepper. Chop the tomatoes.
  6. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add hamburger and slowly add in the rest of the ingredients-- onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the diced bell pepper, the diced tomatoes, parsley, bay leaves and the remaining salt.
  7. I also added to the pan the insides of the eggplant that I had scooped out.   Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until hamburger is cooked through;discard bay leaves.
  8. After the eggplant has baked for 15 minutes, remove from the oven. Carefully turn each eggplant half over stuff the eggplant "boat" with the mixture, pressing it down gently. 
  9.  Drizzle the eggplant with the remaining teaspoons of oil. Bake for maybe 20 minutes more. Or just until the eggplant portion is fully soft and cooked through.
  10. Before eating be sure to add salt to tayste!

No comments:

Post a Comment