I was born and raised on a dairy farm outside Canon City, Colorado. Because of my upbringing and knowledge of diet, farming and business, I advocate knowing, buying and consuming as close to the source as possible. I fell in love with Crossfit as one of the few environments, particularly in athletics and competition, in which women are either just as strong as men or are at least on an even playing field.

I take pride in being a part of a community that reinforces "strong" and "fit" as the compliments. As an independent and fitness minded consumer, I tend to shy away from restrictive diets. Paleo allows me the freedom to eat the foods I enjoy while remaining nutritionally superior to their processed equivalents. I love the way I feel when I fuel my body with whole Paleo meals and after a WOD. Euphoric is not an exaggeration. My goal is to bring others to understand what Paleo is, why it works and why they should try it. The false stigmas about Paleo are rampant and various, but my knowledge is based entirely on what I've learned through personal experience and research.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Salmon With Charmoula Sauce


I was lucky enough to experiment with this sauce at my aunts house in Minnesota.
She has a beautiful kitchen. Definitely one of those kitchens that tends to bring
the whole family together. We made this new sauce and topped it on grilled
chicken and grilled salmon.

Charmoula sauce is cilantro and parsley based. The color is not the most appetizing
but I thought it was incredible tasting. I love cilantro, garlic and lemon so the combo of
these is fresh alive and tart. I really encourage this recipe!


I literally made this in 15 minutes. I packaged my salmon up in parchment tossed the ingredients in my crappy blender and just barely cooked my salmon....  I love it super flaky!

Charmoula Sauce


• 4 cloves garlic
• ½ cup cilantro or more
• ½ cup parsley (Italian) leaves
• 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (no store bought!)
• 1 ½ teaspoon paprika
• ¾ teaspoon cumin( i used more-so 1/2tsp)
• ¼ teaspoon cayenne
• ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil


With the motor of a food processor or food blender running, drop in the cloves one
at a time till minced. Then add the cilantro, parsley, lemon juice paprika,
cumin and cayenne till pureed then slowly add the olive oil.



   I would recommend waiting on adding salt till the end. And I would recommend adding more of these ingredients to create a larger batch.  

You might need to play around with the result. If you dont like it as tart then add less lemon juice and more oil and cilantro/parsley.  If you need more garlic or spice....... just slowly keep adding more to it till you find your happy place. 

 Marinate the fish with EVOO salt n pepper, and garlic and lemon.



Preheat oven to 400. Salt n pepper the salmon and place in parchment paper. I added lemon and EVOO then pulled up all 4 sides to make a pocket... this will make the steaming effect.   I cooked mine for maybe 12 minutes. The recommended amount is 20 or so minutes.

If you have any left overs of the charmoula sauce SAVE IT! It's awesome on thick avocado chunks. 


 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment