I was born and raised on a dairy farm outside Canon City, Colorado. Because of my upbringing and knowledge of diet, farming and business, I advocate knowing, buying and consuming as close to the source as possible. I fell in love with Crossfit as one of the few environments, particularly in athletics and competition, in which women are either just as strong as men or are at least on an even playing field.

I take pride in being a part of a community that reinforces "strong" and "fit" as the compliments. As an independent and fitness minded consumer, I tend to shy away from restrictive diets. Paleo allows me the freedom to eat the foods I enjoy while remaining nutritionally superior to their processed equivalents. I love the way I feel when I fuel my body with whole Paleo meals and after a WOD. Euphoric is not an exaggeration. My goal is to bring others to understand what Paleo is, why it works and why they should try it. The false stigmas about Paleo are rampant and various, but my knowledge is based entirely on what I've learned through personal experience and research.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Apple, Currants and Sunflower Seed Kale Salad



I love kale! I'm always trying to find new ways to incorporate kale into my diet. Kale is pumped with phytochemicals and antioxidants. 

Kale has a higher level of antioxidants than spinach.  These antioxidants along with many other benefits can prevent or slow the oxidative damage of our body.  They enhance the immune system and slow down the aging process.

Kale is also high in sulfur another cancer-fighting compound. When Kale is chopped, cooked or chewed, sulforaphane is formed from the sulfur. Sulforaphane helps the liver to stimulate detoxification and remove free radicals. 

 I had been running into the idea of Sulforaphane a lot lately and how it is beneficial in the fight against breast cancer.   Given its breast cancer awareness month - read this article!  That's my tip for the day-healing foods!


 

But this is a recipe that my aunt lisa always makes. It's freaking goood! Probably one of my top fav Kale recipes. 



The texture of kale is sometimes hard to get use to.  So another way to prepare kale is to massage it with salt. Salt draws moisture out of things, and salt alone is enough to soften the toughest of raw kale leaves. By massaging the kale with the salt it renders a softened texture which is easier to chew. Be sure to only use the 1 tsp of salt I wouldn't recommend much more than that. 


Ingredients

  • 2 bunches of kale
  • 1 small red onion diced
  • 1 small light red apple diced
  • 1/3 + cup currants
  • 1/3 + cup sunflower seeds
  • small package of Raw Gorgonzola Cheese- broken into chunks - The raw Gorgonzola I found at whole foods is pretty salty tasting- I ended up going with an organic Gorgonzola instead bc this salad is already salty
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider viniger
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp of salt

Directions

De-stem kale by pulling leaves away from the stems. Wash leaves, spin or pat dry. Slice kale  into ribbons. Put kale in a large mixing bowl and add salt. Massage salt into kale with your hands for 2 minutes.

To toast sunflower seeds, put in a dry skillet over low to medium heat and stir constantly for a few minutes until they change color and give off a nutty aroma.

Stir onion, currants, apple and toasted seeds into kale. Dress with oil and vinegar and add the Gorgonzola. Taste for salt and vinegar, adding more if necessary.  This salad will keep for several days and still be great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment