I was born and raised on a dairy farm outside Canon City, Colorado. Because of my upbringing and knowledge of diet, farming and business, I advocate knowing, buying and consuming as close to the source as possible. I fell in love with Crossfit as one of the few environments, particularly in athletics and competition, in which women are either just as strong as men or are at least on an even playing field.

I take pride in being a part of a community that reinforces "strong" and "fit" as the compliments. As an independent and fitness minded consumer, I tend to shy away from restrictive diets. Paleo allows me the freedom to eat the foods I enjoy while remaining nutritionally superior to their processed equivalents. I love the way I feel when I fuel my body with whole Paleo meals and after a WOD. Euphoric is not an exaggeration. My goal is to bring others to understand what Paleo is, why it works and why they should try it. The false stigmas about Paleo are rampant and various, but my knowledge is based entirely on what I've learned through personal experience and research.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

What Came First The Chicken Or The Egg??

  This is a Scrumptious! last minute go-to meal.  It reminds me of a Paleo Protein Sammy! Instead of what usually would be mayo I made a Cilantro Avocado pesto spread.    I saved it and I have been using it with veggies, snacks and lunch meat. If you love Cilantro this is a great spread that you need to try. 




Avocado & Cilantro Pesto
  • 1 bunch cilantro leaves
  • 2 Garlic Cloves
  • 1 1/2 Avocado
  • 1  Lemon Freshly Squeezed Juice--Very Important!
  • 1/3 cup avocado oil
  • 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Oil
  • 1/3 cup cashews
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt (more to taste as the amount of salt on the cashews can make a difference)
  • freshly ground black pepper
Instructions
  1. In a blender or food processor, grind the cilantro, garlic and lemon until well blended.
  2. Slowly incorporate the oils, blending as you go.
  3. Add the cashews and Parmesan; blend until smooth.
  4. Add salt, blending and tasting as you go.
  5. Add freshly ground pepper to taste.
  6. Add more or less avocado and lemon depending on your preference.

*A really easy way to cut an avocado is within its skin.   Make slices vertically and then horizontally and then scoop out the squares--


Protein Sammy

  • Grilled Chicken Breast
  • Mixed Greens
  • 1 Egg
  • Avocado Cilantro Pesto
Instructions
  1. I used the grilled chicken that I usually make at the beginning of the week. I always try and do a quick marinade-- whatever I can find in the pantry.  Italian dressing, garlic powder salt n pepper and sometimes good ol Red Robin Seasoning.  Make sure you try and marinade the chicken, it makes a huge difference!
  2. Pop out your George Foreman and grill!
  3. Spread Avocado Cilantro spread on chicken breast.
  4. Add greens
  5. Top with fried egg.

      My beautiful roommate Maia's rendition

5 comments:

  1. Never would have guessed egg with the chicken! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks KK!! Reminds me of The Owl kinda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous, Taylor! I'm only Anonymous 'cause I can't figure out the others!!
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marlene! Im excited to Danielle To get her own Studio!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really good T. Leigh...come over and make that for me here!
    Mama Laurie

    ReplyDelete