I was born and raised on a dairy farm outside Canon City, Colorado. Because of my upbringing and knowledge of diet, farming and business, I advocate knowing, buying and consuming as close to the source as possible. I fell in love with Crossfit as one of the few environments, particularly in athletics and competition, in which women are either just as strong as men or are at least on an even playing field.

I take pride in being a part of a community that reinforces "strong" and "fit" as the compliments. As an independent and fitness minded consumer, I tend to shy away from restrictive diets. Paleo allows me the freedom to eat the foods I enjoy while remaining nutritionally superior to their processed equivalents. I love the way I feel when I fuel my body with whole Paleo meals and after a WOD. Euphoric is not an exaggeration. My goal is to bring others to understand what Paleo is, why it works and why they should try it. The false stigmas about Paleo are rampant and various, but my knowledge is based entirely on what I've learned through personal experience and research.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta- A Family Tradition

 

If you dont like brussel sprouts this recipe will convert you. I promise. 

 What I love most about this recipe is using pancetta instead of bacon. Pancetta is unsmoked pork belly that is cured in salt and spices such as nutmeg, pepper and fennel.  I love pancetta because it is super salty---but it is pricey an it usually doesn't go on sale. 

That being said this recipe has become a family tradition for ALL of our holidays---

 

Ingredients


3-4 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces sliced pancetta, diced
1 cup of Pecans roughly chopped
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved--- I bought mine for $1.84lb
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 granny smith apple skinned and chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions


Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the pancetta and 1 to 2 cloves of minced garlic and cook until golden brown and crisp. Remove the pancetta to a plate lined with paper towels. Add the Brussel sprouts and oil.  Season with salt and pepper and saute on the stove until the vegetables are cooked through and golden brown.  Add another 2 cloves of garlic towards the end of the cooking so the garlic does not burn.

  Take brussel sprouts out- and quickly warm the pecans.  Transfer brussel sprouts, pecans, pancetta and apples to a platter mix and serve!!

When trimming the brussel sprouts A LOT of leaves are left behind.  I baggied the left overs and added them to omelettes in the AM. A good alternative to spinach--

No comments:

Post a Comment